Author Topic: frame pacing performance issue PS1/adrenaline  (Read 16047 times)

Offline kristianity77

• End User
    • View Profile
Re: frame pacing performance issue PS1/adrenaline
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2020, 12:48:02 AM »
Does stuttering happen with all versions of Adrenaline? Did you try early versions from here:

https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/Adrenaline/releases?after=v6

Happens on every version I've been able to get work.  I think the really early versions don't work on 3.65 /68 so I went back as far as I could and the result is the same all the way back.

Offline valiantiumblade

• End User
    • View Profile
Re: frame pacing performance issue PS1/adrenaline
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 03:39:32 PM »
Bumping this thread because I've been messing around with PS1 games on PSTV again lately. I posted this in the Sharpscale thread last night:

This has been working great for me, though I'm still noticing the odd stutter for PS1 games. The game will, in regular intervals (think once every thirty seconds or so,) skip a single frame. Sometimes this happens twice in quick succession. It's most easily noticeable when you scroll the screen back and forth in a 2D game - I haven't actually timed it but again, it seems to manifest with very regular frequency.

My suspicion is that this issue has something to do with how the PS1's original refresh rate is converted to 60hz - it's very reminiscent of how games run at 60hz on the Game Boy Player, for instance. Does anyone have ideas? All the games I've tested were within Adrenaline and it affected all of them (I'm from Germany but have a bunch of PS1 Classics downloaded from the American store and play them via Adrenaline because switching accounts is pain, so I haven't tested if the games perform any different without Adrenaline.)

Now, I'm not sure if the issue I'm describing here is the same as what kristianity is talking about (haven't tested my handheld Vita again separately, for example.) Cuevavirus suggested this issue is inherent to Adrenaline, but after testing it again this morning I'm not sure that's actually true. I'm getting the same kind of stutter when launching PS1 Classics downloads from the home screen, with and without Sharpscale enabled. Again, from the way it manifests I'm almost certain it's some kind of frame rate conversion issue. I also tested a PSP go with component cables (which uses the same emulator for PS1 games) and the scrolling there is perfectly smooth.

The only possible fix would be to either 1) have the PSTV output the same refresh rate as a real PS1 or 2) use some kind of frame-blending/interpolation technique. I'm not sure if such a fundamental change is actually feasible just via homebrew though. :/