Author Topic: [Release] Thread Optimizer - adjust thread parameters to achieve max performance  (Read 42345 times)

Offline youbyoubouri

• End User
    • View Profile
Does anyone have any ideas for good underrated games that had framerate issues?
Hi, borderland 2 would be awesome

Offline justalex

• End User
    • View Profile
Some games dont use the 4th core AT ALL, but will still let you enable the 4th core in thread optimizer.

I xdisabled core unlocker, killzone and wipeout either got stuck loading or didnt start, but attack on titan played fine with a profile enabling the 4th core.

@graphene do you think a 3 core mode in thread optimizer would help with the sound issues in some games? Where it would just be able to configure the 3 cores with core unlocker disabled

Some games even if they do enable the 4th core will roughly only use up to 25% in some cases. So its a good test for which games are enabling the 4th core and what ones arent using it at all and saves a bit of time trying to profile for 4 cores.

Wipeout definitely uses the 4th core but the highest i could get it was about 27% so there may be degrees of 4th core cpu usage.

Just spitballin ideas for these sound issues
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:06:26 PM by justalex »

Offline justalex

• End User
    • View Profile
Hi, borderland 2 would be awesome

😂 Its definitely underrated. As soon as a snapahot is taken it develops sound issues, same with gow, res evil revelations 2, attack on titan 1 (2 seems fine), xcom's sound issues might be able to be worked around but i dont know yet and there may be others

I'm waiting on a vitagrafix update for minecraft's latest patch so i can get started playing around with that.

I'm profiling ratchet and clank Qforce, AoT2, epic mickey and hollow realisation which will take a while because its an rpg and takes longer to test. Spiderman is too big a task roght now and thats about it

Oh and try the games with no profile. Some games that do utilise the 4th core to a decent degree usually get an fps boost purely from coreunlocker

Offline Graphene

• Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
Please don't spread misinformation. Retail games can't possibly utilize 4th core without CoreUnlocker:
1. Official Sony SDK doesn't expose CPU affinity mask value for 4th core for game developers.
2. Even if the devs would somehow guess the value, all thread-related functions have check in them that makes them error out if 4th core is attempted to use in game application.
The purpose of CoreUnlocker plugin is to disable that check.

It makes no sense for devs to use 4th core CPU affinity mask value (again, if they somehow guessed it), because all of the thread-related functions will simply error out. Games can't be programmed to use 4th core out of the box. That's the purpose of Thread Optimizer.

If some games do manage to run without CoreUnlocker and with 4th core enabled, that's because they have good exception handling and are able to work even if some thread-related functions don't work and return errors.

The reason you see 20 - 30% usage of 4th core without CoreUnlocker is because while games can't directly use it, SceShell and background applications use it, as well as some shared system modules.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:19:39 PM by Graphene »

Offline justalex

• End User
    • View Profile
Please don't spread misinformation. Retail games can't possibly utilize 4th core without CoreUnlocker:
1. Official Sony SDK doesn't expose CPU affinity mask value for 4th core for game developers.
2. Even if the devs would somehow guess the value, all thread-related functions have check in them that makes them error out if 4th core is attempted to use in game application.
The purpose of CoreUnlocker plugin is to disable that check.

It makes no sense for devs to use 4th core CPU affinity mask value (again, if they somehow guessed it), because all of the thread-related functions will simply error out. Games can't be programmed to use 4th core out of the box. That's the purpose of Thread Optimizer.

If some games do manage to run without CoreUnlocker and with 4th core enabled, that's because they have good exception handling and are able to work even if some thread-related functions don't work and return errors.

The reason you see 20 - 30% usage of 4th core without CoreUnlocker is because while games can't directly use it, SceShell and background applications use it, as well as some shared system modules.

You've misread the post.

I'm saying that some games dont use the 4th core at all with core unlocker enabled and a TO profile with the 4th core assigned on threads but will still start up (which is what you said yourselfand that some games that definitely utilise the 4th core - confirmed with cpu usage - obviously wont start.

The important part is that it might be connected to sound issues - forcing a game to use the 4th core when the threada could be hard coded and create problems like sound issies.

Anyway, dont think i'll be posting here anymore if this is how you react to feedback on your work

Offline Graphene

• Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
Here is what I think about audio-related issues: these are probably caused by Thread Optimizer interpreting 1:1 threads as same and applying similar settings to all of them. In some games where devs were too lazy to give each thread distinctive feautures (like different names), that may cause some issues. Unfortunately I don't see a way of fixing that issue without implementing some compilicated thread differentiation algorithms which will degrade game performance.

Offline Gyro2006

• End User
    • View Profile
Hey, thank you for your contributions :) . Don't know if you are interested but i'd love to see nfs most wanted at native resolution with stable fps

Offline oldhouse

• End User
    • View Profile

Would Timespinner be a good candidate? Without overclocking it has some heavy FPS drop so maybe it would be nice to use all 4 cpu.

Offline dkrmdi

• End User
    • View Profile
Here are some list...

Assasin's creed Liberation.
NFS Most wanted
Sword Art Online Hollow Realization
Atelier Sophie, Firis, Lydie & Suelle
Night of Azure 1 and 2
Blue Reflection
Ys 8 and Ys celceta
Sonic Transformed
Fate/Extella Link
Attack on Titan 2
Gundam Breaker 3
Disney Epic Mickey 2
Unit 13

AC Liberation seriously needs some work.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 09:25:17 AM by dkrmdi »

Offline dkrmdi

• End User
    • View Profile
Project Diva series does not have PFS problems, but I'd be glad if more improvements can be made.