Author Topic: LiveArea™ UI  (Read 5407 times)

Offline SilicaAndPina

• Hot Pockets
  • End User
  • Its probably a wiccan thing..
    • View Profile
LiveArea™ UI
« on: May 23, 2020, 11:03:03 PM »
I'd just like to interject for a moment.  What you're referring to as LiveArea™,
is in fact, LiveArea™ UI, or as I've recently taken to calling it, LiveArea™ plus UI.
LiveArea™ is not a User Interface unto itself, but rather another properitary component
of the fully functioning LiveArea™ UI made useful by the Home Screen, Index screen
and vital LiveArea™ UI components comprising a full User Interface

All PSVita users run the LiveArea™ UI system every day,
without realizing it.  Through a peculiar turn of events, LiveArea™ UI
which is widely used today is often called "LiveArea™", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the LiveArea™ UI system, developed by Sony Computer Entertainment

There really is a LiveArea™, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. LiveArea™ is the app start screen the one with
the buttons at the top, that looks like a peice of paper, that allow the vita
to start the other programs that you run. The LiveArea™ is an essential part of the PSVita,
but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of the complete LiveArea™ UI.
LiveArea™ is normally used in combination with the UI system: the whole system
is basically UI with LiveArea™ added, or LiveArea™ UI. All the so-called "Shell"
plugins are really plugins for LiveArea™ UI.

teakhanirons

Re: LiveArea™ UI
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 01:17:25 AM »
no marb it's live area not live area ui. the greatest contribution home screen made to the ui is choosing an app to launch. home screen is a monumental achievement and has earned Sony countless kudos and much appreciation.
Next, even if we limit the live area /home screen title to other configurations, we run into another obvious problem. onemenu may well be more important to a particular  configuration than the sum of all the home screen contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called onemenu/livearea? Or, at a minimum, onemenu/live area/home screen? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.
You seem to like the default installation metric. There are copies of home screen code in a typical  configuration yes. You seem to suggest that (more official) == (more important). However, I submit to you that official configurations do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing onemenu code, one menu is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than onemenu. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but default metric really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.
Thanks for listening.