Author Topic: [Release] vitaQuake v4.11 - Full HD 1920x1080 rendering for PSTV  (Read 14388 times)

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
I am proud to bring you the first Vita homebrew game capable of rendering at the highest possible resolution of 1920x1080.

vitaQuake runs smoothly at 60 FPS at 1920x1080 with overclocking. In addition, 1280x720 is possible if you prefer to use 720p HDMI mode for the PSTV, and 1440x1080 is also possible for a classic 4:3 Quake experience.

(click images for full size)

Features:

Hardware accelerated GPU rendering
Native 1920x1080 resolution
MSAA 2x and MSAA 4x support
Dual analogs support
Native IME for inputing commands/text
Sounds and Musics (CDTracks) support in OGG, MP3, WAV formats
Gyroscope and touchscreen support for camera movement
Custom arguments support and mods support
Support for both official missionpacks
Support for transparent surfaces (.alpha and .renderamt)
Increased Quake Engine limits (max vertices, max entities, max static entities, etc...)
LAN Multiplayer support (locale and online)
AdHoc Multiplayer support
ProQuake net protocol support
Savegames fully working
Support for colored lights with .lit files support
Support for Half-Life BSP
Supprt for BSP2 and 2BSP formats
Smooth animations thanks to interpolation techniques
Crosshair and custom crosshairs support
Mirrors support
Specular mode support
Fog support
Cel Shading support
Bilinear filtering support
Dynamic shadows support
Several different improvements in the renderer quality
Several different miscellaneous features (eg: transparent statusbar, benchmark feature, working gamma, etc...)
Map downloader support if you try to join an online server and you don't own the running map

Controls:
- Left Analog / Digital Pad = Move player
- Right Analog = Move camera
- O / X = Jump
- R Trigger / Square = Shoot
- Triangle = Change Weapon
- L Trigger = Run
- Touch = Show game status
- Retrotouch = Move camera
- Select = Enable Danzeff Keyboard in Console Menu for commands insertion

Custom Crosshair:
Starting with vitaQuake v.4.0, it will be possible to use a completely custom crosshair with the game.
To do so, you should create a file named xhair.bin and place it in ux0:data/Quake/GAMEFOLDER folder (GAMEFOLDER will be id1 for main Quake for example).
This file must contains 64 bytes that will define the 8x8 crosshair glyph. A byte set at 0xFE will mean a visible pixel. A byte set at 0xFF will mean an invisible pixel.
The custom crosshair usage can be enabled in Options menu. If no xhair.bin is provided, when Custom crosshair will be set, QuakeWorld crosshair2 will be used.
You can also alter crosshair color by setting these three values in config.cfg:
crosshaircolor_r, crosshaircolor_g, crosshaircolor_b.
By default these three values are set at 255, 255, 0.

Installation:
- Install the vpk
- Place the "Quake" folder in ux0:/data
- Install Sharpscale and turn on "Unlock framebuffer size" to use HD resolution rendering

How to use soundtrack:
- Create a folder in ux0:/data/Quake/id1 and call it cdtracks
- Place the audio tracks renamed as track001, track0002, ... in ogg or mp3 format in this folder.

You can find complete soundtrack in ogg format here: https://www.quaddicted.com/files/music/quake_music.zip

How to have colored lights:
As of v.2.8, colored lights are available thanks to .lit lights support from DarkPlaces client by LordHavoc.
The simplest way to get colored lights in Quake is to download this package: http://www.moddb.com/games/quake/addons/quake-colored-lightmaps
Grab LIGHTS.PAK file and place it in your vitaQuake installation (where pak0.pak is) and rename LIGHTS.PAK as if it's a normal pak (so if you have pak0 and pak1, rename it pak2.pak).
That package has colored lights support for the two official mission packs too.

Credits:

Ch0wW, cuevavirus, icelaglace, xyzz, jakebriggs, Maƫllig Desmottes, MasterFeizz, Nathan Rennie-Waldock, Rinnegatamante, rsn8887, tiduscrying, idSoftware
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 07:06:08 PM by cuevavirus »

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] vitaQuake v4.11 - Full HD 1920x1080 rendering for PSTV
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 10:15:11 PM »
For an unknown reason, rin blocked me on github without once interacting with me. So I am unable to contribute back to the original repository.

teakhanirons

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 10:22:26 PM »
Definitive Quake experience! Hope Rin unblocks you so this gets merged to the official repo!

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 11:33:28 PM »
Looks like rin does not want external contributors after all. Full source code is now available in the OP.

teakhanirons

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 11:42:54 PM »
We might have a problem, Rin submitted a trademark.

Offline CBPSImplied

• End User
  • Discount DF and Strawberry Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 12:18:04 AM »
This is not only historical, but also begs the question if retail games will eventually be able to run at full HD resolutions
"Pixel counting- this takes some time."

Offline yuuna

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 01:03:51 AM »
This is not only historical, but also begs the question if retail games will eventually be able to run at full HD resolutions

Probably, but I doubt it would run well. I recall it being discussed a while back, when VitaGrafix was still in its early stage.

Best we can hope for is, native resolution patch for games(960x544) and Sharpscale to 1088p.

Offline dots_tb

• Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 01:19:26 AM »

Probably, but I doubt it would run well. I recall it being discussed a while back, when VitaGrafix was still in its early stage.

Best we can hope for is, native resolution patch for games(960x544) and Sharpscale to 1088p.

Well that is assuming you are running HD on intensive games, there are plenty of non-intensive games that could benefit from these new resolutions that were not limited due to the processing power, but rather the display itself.

Most of the previous resolution hacks were for games that did not even utilize the full resolution capabilities of the display and that were gimped due to the devs feeling the Vita was not powerful enough.

I think the previous discussion was in relation to rendering it at a higher resolution, then downscaling it to display to create a clearer image, not sure if its actually been attempted.

EDIT: Previous discussion as in relating to VitaGrafix.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:25:30 AM by dots_tb »

teakhanirons

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 05:35:51 PM »

For the record, this was achieved by, who else, cuevavirus with Catherine: Full Body 720p patch.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:38:26 PM by teakhanirons »