Author Topic: [Release] Sharpscale - native 960x544 HDMI output for PSTV  (Read 134674 times)

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] Sharpscale - native 960x544 HDMI output for PSTV
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »
Perhaps this is intended behavior, but my PSTV set to 1080i has larger black borders in PS1 games (Adrenaline) than set to 720p on a 1080p TV (plugin settings: integer, point, 4:3). I set the PSTV to 720p to get a bigger picture. The opposite happens in Retroarch. I have to set the PSTV to 1080i to get a bigger picture (smaller black borders).

Sharpscale can perform up to a 4x scaling. For example, a PS1 game with a 320x240 framebuffer can be scaled up to 1280x960. This is a hardware limitation. Outside of Adrenaline, PS1 games cannot even be opened when HDMI output is set to 1080i.

Offline cybercylon

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2020, 12:56:59 AM »
I am relatively new to installing home brew on the PS TV, so apologies in advance if I might have missed something on installing sharpscale.

I can't get the plugin to load or the configuration program to recognize that it is installed (Fatal Error: Sharpscale kernel module not loaded or incompatible version). I have the sharpscale.skprx file inside ur0:tai/, and in the config.txt file has ur0:tia/sharpscale.skprx line under *Kernel. Yes, I did reboot the PS TV :-)

So either I am missing some small detail, or the version number of my OS is a problem. My PSTV is at version 3.73, so I have to load the h-encore 2 exploit to run and home brew (perhaps plugins can't load in this way).

I know one suggestion would likely be to downgrade my OS, but I have read that isn't such a good idea once the OS is up to 3.72 and 3.73.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline cybercylon

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2020, 04:33:15 AM »
Looks like I found an answer. On hunch, I installed auto plugin, and when I ran that, a pop up window opened saying an error was fixed. Now I am in business, but I wish I knew what was wrong.

I am relatively new to installing home brew on the PS TV, so apologies in advance if I might have missed something on installing sharpscale.

I can't get the plugin to load or the configuration program to recognize that it is installed (Fatal Error: Sharpscale kernel module not loaded or incompatible version). I have the sharpscale.skprx file inside ur0:tai/, and in the config.txt file has ur0:tia/sharpscale.skprx line under *Kernel. Yes, I did reboot the PS TV :-)

So either I am missing some small detail, or the version number of my OS is a problem. My PSTV is at version 3.73, so I have to load the h-encore 2 exploit to run and home brew (perhaps plugins can't load in this way).

I know one suggestion would likely be to downgrade my OS, but I have read that isn't such a good idea once the OS is up to 3.72 and 3.73.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Brian2a

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2020, 01:51:42 AM »
I am having the same issue you described. Tried to use your fix of installing autoplugin, but issue persists. I haven't messed with my PlayStation TV in years, so maybe I've done something wrong, but I've double checked through everything and I can't stop my mistake.

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2020, 09:46:55 PM »
Please try this debug build and upload the log files at ur0:/sharpscale.log and ux0:/sharpscale-config.log
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 06:56:31 PM by cuevavirus »

Offline Brian2a

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2020, 02:05:00 AM »
Please try this debug build and upload the log files at ur0:/sharpscale.log and ux0:/sharpscale-config.log
No debugging necessary, I figured out my error and apologize for wasting your time! I hadn't used this thing in a while and got confused with the file locations, since I've been using a USB to store all my files. Thank you very much for helping.

Offline Eiji

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2020, 08:26:11 PM »
This is an awesome app and has given a new lease of life to my PSTV.

Is it possible to add scanline settings to Sharpscale in a future release?

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2020, 10:10:10 PM »
This is an awesome app and has given a new lease of life to my PSTV.

Is it possible to add scanline settings to Sharpscale in a future release?

It may be possible to perform scanline overlay in the same way as shell framebuffer overlays.

Offline Eiji

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2020, 01:35:47 AM »
It may be possible to perform scanline overlay in the same way as shell framebuffer overlays.

Great to hear. How about the GTE widescreen hack that is in PCSXR, ePSXe and Beetle PSX emulators? It gives true widescreen in all 3D PS1 games.

Is this possible via Sharpscale or would a direct modification be necessary to Adrenaline instead?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 01:39:24 AM by Eiji »

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2020, 01:42:43 AM »
Great to hear. How about the GTE widescreen hack that is in PCSXR, ePSXe and Beetle PSX emulators? It gives true widescreen in all 3D PS1 games.

Is this possible via Sharpscale or would a direct modification be necessary to Adrenaline instead?

Sharpscale cannot change the way in which games are rendered, so it will have to be done in emulators.

Offline valiantiumblade

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2020, 02:33:24 AM »
I also ran across the problem of the scrolling not being smooth in SOTN and other 2D games when running with "Original" graphics in 720p.
So I messed around in the Adrenaline code and found a way to make it run better.

This is the change I made:
https://github.com/CruelTott/Adrenaline/commit/3e05688e178b082c8353a38ae382aeb1f15aac62

Maybe it will be useful to some of you.

This has been working great for me, though I'm still noticing the odd stutter for PS1 games. The game will, in regular intervals (think once every thirty seconds or so,) skip a single frame. Sometimes this happens twice in quick succession. It's most easily noticeable when you scroll the screen back and forth in a 2D game - I haven't actually timed it but again, it seems to manifest with very regular frequency.

My suspicion is that this issue has something to do with how the PS1's original refresh rate is converted to 60hz - it's very reminiscent of how games run at 60hz on the Game Boy Player, for instance. Does anyone have ideas? All the games I've tested were within Adrenaline and it affected all of them (I'm from Germany but have a bunch of PS1 Classics downloaded from the American store and play them via Adrenaline because switching accounts is pain, so I haven't tested if the games perform any different without Adrenaline.)

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2020, 02:44:02 AM »
There is another thread about PS1 stuttering in Adrenaline: https://forum.devchroma.nl/index.php/topic,215.0.html

This is an issue specific to Adrenaline.

Offline valiantiumblade

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2020, 11:12:10 AM »
Oh that's good to know, gonna bump that thread then, thank you!

Offline as905

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2020, 08:17:20 AM »
This has been working great for me, though I'm still noticing the odd stutter for PS1 games. The game will, in regular intervals (think once every thirty seconds or so,) skip a single frame. Sometimes this happens twice in quick succession. It's most easily noticeable when you scroll the screen back and forth in a 2D game - I haven't actually timed it but again, it seems to manifest with very regular frequency.

My suspicion is that this issue has something to do with how the PS1's original refresh rate is converted to 60hz - it's very reminiscent of how games run at 60hz on the Game Boy Player, for instance. Does anyone have ideas? All the games I've tested were within Adrenaline and it affected all of them (I'm from Germany but have a bunch of PS1 Classics downloaded from the American store and play them via Adrenaline because switching accounts is pain, so I haven't tested if the games perform any different without Adrenaline.)

i'm not 100% sure as it's been months but i think someone posted a fix for this issue on this forum,could even be in this very thread !

Offline valiantiumblade

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2020, 01:47:09 PM »
i'm not 100% sure as it's been months but i think someone posted a fix for this issue on this forum,could even be in this very thread !
I did mention the CruelTott patch in my initial post; is the fix you're talking about separate from that one? https://forum.devchroma.nl/index.php?topic=112.msg293#msg293