Author Topic: [Release] Sharpscale - native 960x544 HDMI output for PSTV  (Read 134571 times)

Offline yuuna

• End User
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] Sharpscale - native 960x544 HDMI output for PSTV
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2020, 05:35:19 AM »
Works well with Retroarch. (set integer scaling within retroarch as well  8) )

Offline ribald_om

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2020, 06:40:54 AM »
Do sharpscale's aspect ratio settings conflict with Adrenaline's scaling settings? Should I set them back to 1 for ps1 games if I had it adjusted it to get 4:3?

What is the advantage of Fitted over Original?

I may be crazy and this may not actually have anything to do with this plugin, but there's something about playing SotN without filters in 1080i and 720p . The pixels look sharp and amazing, but the screen scrolling looks bad, like there's tearing or something.

After some experimenting with 480p I think I've found the best compromise I can for making ps1 game look sharp as possible while also filling the screen as much as possible, and also keeping the aspect ratio from changing on variable resolution ps1 games:

Manually set my display to 4:3

Set Vita TV to 480p

Set Shapscale to

Ignteger
4:3
Billinear off (obviously)

I'm guessing to also accomplish this for psp games, I'd just change the aspect settings on my tv and leave everything else the same?

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2020, 06:59:18 AM »
Do sharpscale's aspect ratio settings conflict with Adrenaline's scaling settings? Should I set them back to 1 for ps1 games if I had it adjusted it to get 4:3?

What is the advantage of Fitted over Original?

I may be crazy and this may not actually have anything to do with this plugin, but there's something about playing SotN without filters in 1080i and 720p . The pixels look sharp and amazing, but the screen scrolling looks bad, like there's tearing or something.

If you have the graphics mode in Adrenaline set to anything besides original, adrenaline will perform GPU scaling to 960x544, so just leave it at original. Fitted is for if you want to watch a video or have a PS1 game fit the whole screen. I've also noticed tearing with bilinear filtering off in a PSP game but not in SotN. Maybe turning it off causes something to go out of sync and that's why without this plugin bilinear filtering is enforced in Pspemu.

Offline ribald_om

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2020, 07:30:09 AM »
fwiw I'm digging how 480p is looking with those settings. Things looks sharp, image is constantly 4:3 and fills the screen no matter the ps1 game resolution. Tested with SotN, Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story.

Offline as905

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2020, 08:00:50 AM »
i'm having issue with Ps Vita TV which is set to 720p while i can notice improvement in Vita games the image quality is really poor & very pixelated in adrenaline,any help would be greatly appreciated as i really want this to work just as well as it does on my Ps Vita console. also i noticed on the PS TV the official settings are missing all the options apart from ( Disc Speed ) but on Vita Console all of the original options are present !!

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2020, 08:05:35 AM »
You can try turning on bilinear filtering, that will make it look less pixelated but more blurry. PSP's framebuffer is very small (480x272) so either it will look pixelated or blurry.

Offline as905

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2020, 08:16:28 AM »
what i don't understand is why this tool works for Vita console in all modes,Vita,PSP,PS1 but only works in Vita mode on PS TV !!! why are the Adrenaline official settings missing from Ps TV but are present on PS Vita console !! something isn't right & i can't figure out what it is !! any help is really appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:18:51 AM by as905 »

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2020, 08:29:53 AM »
It works identically on both the vita and pstv. If your concern is that things look pixelated without bilinear filtering on the pstv, then it's because the vita's screen has a higher pixel density, so you don't notice it as clearly. In fact bilinear filtering is otherwise not possible to disable on the pstv without this plugin. On the vita there are built-in scaling options for PS1 games so it's not necessary to use this plugin.

Official settings are unrelated.

Offline as905

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2020, 08:56:03 AM »
is the scaling options for PS1 games also available on PS TV ? or just Vita Handheld ?

the reason why i'm asking this is because when i click on other settings in Vita i can change PS1 games to Full screen but on PS TV this option is missing,the only option available is changing disc speed !! any idea why ?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:04:24 AM by as905 »

Offline yuuna

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2020, 12:03:04 PM »
is the scaling options for PS1 games also available on PS TV ? or just Vita Handheld ?

the reason why i'm asking this is because when i click on other settings in Vita i can change PS1 games to Full screen but on PS TV this option is missing,the only option available is changing disc speed !! any idea why ?

Only Sony can answer that question.  ::)

Offline as905

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2020, 05:13:06 PM »

ok can you please tell me how did you manage to get Crash Team Racing looking sharp on widescreen setting on PstV @720p ? on my PsTV it doesn't look anywhere near as good !! actually it looks bad

Offline yuuna

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2020, 06:15:01 PM »

ok can you please tell me how did you manage to get Crash Team Racing looking sharp on widescreen setting on PstV @720p ? on my PsTV it doesn't look anywhere near as good !! actually it looks bad

not doing anything special, other than doing a widescreen patch on the game.. you can do this with cheat code or patching the game directly.. check my earlier post, I linked the thread that has the widescreen codes/patches. 720p integer scaling, 16:9 and bilinear off

Offline ribald_om

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2020, 07:45:03 PM »

Can you define what "looks bad" means?

Offline CruelTott

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2020, 08:14:04 PM »
I also ran across the problem of the scrolling not being smooth in SOTN and other 2D games when running with "Original" graphics in 720p.
So I messed around in the Adrenaline code and found a way to make it run better.

This is the change I made:
https://github.com/CruelTott/Adrenaline/commit/3e05688e178b082c8353a38ae382aeb1f15aac62

Maybe it will be useful to some of you.

Offline yuuna

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2020, 08:38:55 PM »
I also ran across the problem of the scrolling not being smooth in SOTN and other 2D games when running with "Original" graphics in 720p.
So I messed around in the Adrenaline code and found a way to make it run better.

This is the change I made:
https://github.com/CruelTott/Adrenaline/commit/3e05688e178b082c8353a38ae382aeb1f15aac62

Maybe it will be useful to some of you.

Nice!
Edit: I mean replace this module in the install folder?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:40:41 PM by yuuna »