Author Topic: [Release] Sharpscale - native 960x544 HDMI output for PSTV  (Read 132792 times)

Offline capsilver

• End User
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] Sharpscale - native 960x544 HDMI output for PSTV
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2020, 10:30:35 PM »
I added options for those and a config app that let's you change it without having to restart or even close adrenaline. If other common ratios are used for widescreen patches I can add those too.

That's look dope! Can't wait to try it. Great work!

The purpose of this plugin, is to output the image with correct scaling, without stretching the image,which can cause pixels to look blurry.

If you want the image to fit the PSVita screen, then you should use the VITA's official scaling options.

But you can't get that result with Adrenalin/PSP scaling options.

Also my question is why on my phone that is a 5" Full HD display, when i run Symphony of the Night in the correct scale at full screen it look pixel perfect and when i force it with Custom scalin on Adrenaline pixels look distorted?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:23:59 AM by capsilver »

Offline yuuna

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2020, 02:24:17 AM »
Also my question is why on my phone that is a 5" Full HD display, when i run Symphony of the Night in the correct scale at full screen it look pixel perfect and when i force it with Custom scalin on Adrenaline pixels look distorted?

What this plugin is accomplishing, is getting a pixel perfect image. (Integer scaling or at native resolution)
In order to get that, you need to multiply the amount of pixel in factors of whole numbers. (2/3/4 etc).
I think this picture is the perfect example to describe integer scaling.

If the resolution is smaller than the screen's resolution, and you want to fill it.. you will have to stretch the image..

If you look at the Vita resolution 960x544, and PSP/Adrenaline runs at 480x272.. it's exactly half amount of pixels.. so technically the Vita is upscaling PSP image by 2, since it fits perfectly.
Which is why the image looks so clear.

Now, does your phone screen have enough pixels to multiply in whole numbers? if not, then it's not pixel perfect...
So when you stretch a resolution to fit, you are multiplying the pixel by fractions/decimals, then it no longer becomes integer.
Emulators will use filters to smooth the image, so it doesn't look bad. and some use scan line filter to mimic the pixel effect.

Check this image, basically compares integer scaling vs bilinear scaling (which is what emulators use for up-scaling)
https://www.techpowerup.com/img/kLGzbamqwTe0uFMb.jpg
To most people this is tolerable, or some might not even notice, since they probably played these games on a CRT back in the days..

I hope this is not too difficult to understand, I'm having a little trouble trying to explain this lol..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:35:41 AM by yuuna »

Offline capsilver

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2020, 04:01:04 AM »
Very detailed explanation. And I get it. I can't stand play classic games with a distorted or blurry pixel ratio. And there's a lot of great 2D games on the PSX.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 03:29:55 PM by capsilver »

Offline yuuna

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2020, 07:25:19 PM »
Installed dolcesdk, tried to compile it and failed, I'll just wait  :P

plugin compiled, but the config app failed... I believe it's most likely due to libvita2d_sys

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:26:55 PM by yuuna »

Offline capsilver

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2020, 09:33:48 PM »
Installed dolcesdk, tried to compile it and failed, I'll just wait  :P

plugin compiled, but the config app failed... I believe it's most likely due to libvita2d_sys
Did cuevavirus posted the latest version? I don't see it on the main post.

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2020, 09:39:13 PM »
Here it is lads

New version 2020-04-24

- Added options for PS1 aspect ratio modes
- Added fitted scaling mode
- Added config application (ur0:/data/sharpscale/config.txt no longer needed)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 01:51:33 AM by cuevavirus »

Offline yuuna

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2020, 09:40:24 PM »
Thank you very much!  ;D

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2020, 09:44:52 PM »
This looks good, other than 4:3, 16:9 ratio... Alundra is 16:10 and the odd Diablo one which is 32:15 ultrawide.

I'm assuming the 'Pixel' option is force ratio off?

Yeah pixel just uses the ratio of the framebuffer. I think Alundra and Diablo looks fine using the pixel ratio, maybe just games like Ghost in the Shell with a built-in widescreen mode needs to be forced to 16:9.

Offline yuuna

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2020, 10:10:34 PM »
This looks good, other than 4:3, 16:9 ratio... Alundra is 16:10 and the odd Diablo one which is 32:15 ultrawide.

I'm assuming the 'Pixel' option is force ratio off?

Yeah pixel just uses the ratio of the framebuffer. I think Alundra and Diablo looks fine using the pixel ratio, maybe just games like Ghost in the Shell with a built-in widescreen mode needs to be forced to 16:9.

It's working great!! Tried on Crash Team Racing (widescreen patched), Vagrant Story (widescreen patched), Legend of Dragoon (original image is actually larger than 4:3), Fear Effect (widescreen patched).

Ghost in the shell seems to have a low resolution, but now widescreen works correctly..

720p btw.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:25:27 PM by yuuna »

Offline W00fer

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2020, 10:20:44 PM »
Here it is lads

New version 2020-04-24

- Added options for PS1 aspect ratio modes
- Added fitted scaling mode
- Added config application

Would it be possible to integrate the resolution options into Henkaku menu on PSTV?

Offline capsilver

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2020, 03:52:25 AM »
Thank you! @cuevavirus!

It's working great!! Tried on Crash Team Racing (widescreen patched), Vagrant Story (widescreen patched), Legend of Dragoon (original image is actually larger than 4:3), Fear Effect (widescreen patched).

How do you apply widescreen patches?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 04:32:54 AM by capsilver »

Offline cuevavirus

• Hot Pockets
  • Useful Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2020, 04:15:03 AM »
that's right you can delete config.txt. double tap the ps button to return to the main menu from adrenaline.

Offline yuuna

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2020, 12:08:20 PM »
How do you apply widescreen patches?

There's an PSOne widescreen archive you can download from the PCSX2 forums.. some are cheat codes, some are ppf patches, and some require you to hex edit a game file.

https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PSOne-Widescreen-Patches
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:15:41 PM by yuuna »

Offline arcadekidflo

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2020, 01:47:29 PM »
Any chance for a PS3 port ? :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 03:28:57 PM by arcadekidflo »

Offline kimbapslice

• End User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2020, 03:49:37 AM »
I just wanted to say thank you Cuevavirus for making this plugin. It is so amazing to be able to play Vita, PSP, and PSX games on the VITA TV in correct pixel, correct aspect ratio, and without bilinear filtering. It's a dream come true. On the regular vita, disabling bilinear filtering is a giant leap for PSP games, night and day. Everything is so sharp.

Thank you thank you for putting together one of the last puzzle pieces for vita homebrew.